Today, for many women and men, the fact that their skin looks is important. Such cosmetic defects of the skin of the face as blackheads, clogged pores, rashes, fine and deep wrinkles, age-related changes, dull, gray complexion can be eliminated on their own using acid peeling at home.
What is an acid peel?
This is a modern cosmetic procedure, during which a special solution is applied to the skin – fruit acid, which penetrates deep into the skin and causes its rapid regeneration. There are a wide variety of fruit acids on the market today. Most popular:
- grape acid;
- lactic acid;
- lemon acid;
- glycolic acid;
- salicylic acid;
The process of skin renewal lasts from one day to two weeks and depends on the depth of penetration of acid peeling under the skin. The regeneration process occurs by peeling the top layer of the skin.
The strength of the peeling effect on the skin depends on several important factors that determine how deeply the acting components can penetrate the skin and, based on this, the magnitude of the possible tissue regeneration.
- The first factor is the concentration of the active substance – the acid in the peel. The higher the percentage of acid, the stronger the peel will work.
- The second factor is the number of layers of peeling. For a light effect, one or two layers are enough, but if the goal is more radical, more layers of peeling are needed.
- The third factor is the exposure time of the acid peel to the skin. The same principle applies here, the longer you hold, the deeper the active substance penetrates into the skin, and the more effective the result of the procedure will be.
Types of peeling
In cosmetology, there are three main types of peeling. Their variety depends only on how deeply the fruit acid penetrates under the skin.
- Superficial peeling. This is one of the most gentle types of peeling used today in cosmetology. It is superficial peeling that can be done at home on your own. There are several reasons for this. First, it is great for all skin types. Secondly, such peeling can be purchased freely at a pharmacy or a specialized store. As a rule, superficial peeling is a liquid with a low content, in 10-20% glycolic acid. A similar solution can be easily applied at home.
- Medium peeling. This cosmetic procedure cannot be performed at home because the active ingredients, trichloroacetic acid, penetrate deep into the layers of the skin and cause second-degree burns. Such a procedure is carried out, as a rule, on aging and fading skin, in order to rejuvenate it and reduce both the number of wrinkles and their depth. Regeneration takes about a week and is difficult, a hard crust forms on the face, which cannot be removed mechanically. This acid peeling is not on the free market, it is available only to beauty salons.
- Deep peeling. This procedure is also not possible at home because it is very aggressive. The main indications for its implementation are skin whitening with strong pigmentation, as well as the presence of a large number of rashes and post-acne. Like the previous procedure, deep acid peeling causes second-degree burns, and the main active ingredient of such peeling is phenol.
When can the procedure be carried out?
Since acid peeling leads to rapid skin regeneration, it greatly increases its sensitivity to ultraviolet rays. The most favorable time for peeling procedures is late autumn, winter and early spring. Regardless of the season, after the peeling procedure, be sure to use sunscreen for a week. Depending on which of the three types of peeling was carried out, it is necessary to use a regular day cream with a sun protection factor of at least 15 or a special product chosen for you by a beautician.
It is not recommended to carry out the procedure of acid peeling both before the holiday and immediately after it, since peeling, even superficial, is a very strong stress for the skin.
Preparation for the procedure
Since each acid peel causes skin burns of varying degrees, before the procedure it is necessary to prepare the skin for this aggressive effect, this will speed up the regeneration process and minimize discomfort. Before the procedure, it is advisable to use mild skin cleansers. Be sure to use a day cream with a high sun protection factor, if possible, refuse or minimize the amount of decorative cosmetics applied to the skin. All this will allow the skin to relax, accumulate a maximum of useful substances, easily cope with stress and quickly, evenly recover.
Peeling procedure at home
Before applying the active ingredient to the skin, it is necessary to cleanse the skin with a mild cleansing gel or facial wash, pat your face dry with a clean paper towel.
Since acid peeling suitable for home use is already sold ready-made, it does not require additional preparations before application. For convenience, you can pour or squeeze a small amount of the active substance, depending on the container, into a small container, bowl or jar. After that, the active solution must be applied to the dry and cleansed skin of the face. This can be done with a brush.
After applying the solution to the skin, the most problematic areas can be gently massaged with fingertips, and then leave the active substance on the face for several minutes. Five to six minutes at the first procedure will be enough. During the procedure, you may experience a burning sensation, however, superficial peeling does not cause strong pain. After the expiration time of the peeling on the skin of the face, it is necessary to thoroughly wash the face with warm water. Detergents are not recommended.
Skin care after peeling
The time of skin regeneration and recovery after superficial peeling usually takes only a few days. In order to make this process easier as quickly as possible, it is worth limiting any aggressive effects on the skin. It is not advisable to use scrubs, as well as products that contain alcohol. Skin cleansing is best done with soft micellar water or cosmetic milk with natural plant extracts.
In skin care during this period, it is necessary to focus on moisturizing and…