The procedure for applying drugs based on various acids to the skin is a chemical peel. Its essence lies in the exfoliation of the cells of the surface layers of the skin to different depths. This will depend on the type of substance and its strong action.
Thanks to this procedure, the pores of the sebaceous glands are cleansed. Skin cells are stimulated and actively regenerated due to superficial damage. Together, this gives an active production of collagen and elastin.
The mechanism of chemical peeling includes three components:
- The growth of the epidermis is activated, due to the removal of keratinized particles.
- Removal of several superficial layers of the skin, and with it the imperfections that they have.
- The tissues of the dermis are rebuilt in connection with a short-term, but deep inflammatory reaction.
Skin cells live only 28 days. During this period of time, the cell will mature, come to the surface and die. When dead cells accumulate, the pores become clogged, the process of skin renewal slows down, and useful substances penetrate the epidermis with difficulty. All this accelerates the aging process of the skin.
Chemical peeling also serves to ensure that the skin can get rid of the stratum corneum, renews their upper layers and activates metabolic processes. Acid, acting on the surface of the skin, exfoliates several layers of dead cells. This promotes the synthesis of elastin and collagen and the formation of new cells.
In chemical peels, organic acids are most often used. If peeling is superficial – fruit, lactic, glycolic, pyruvic, if peeling is medium or deep – trichloroacetic acid. The dermatocosmetologist determines, focusing on the characteristics of the skin condition, the drug and the method of the procedure.
When is peeling indicated?
- stretch marks (striae);
- photo- and chronoaging;
- sagging skin.
Types of peels
Depending on the depth to which the peeling affects, there are:
- Superficial peeling. This procedure is the most gentle of all. It does not require anesthesia and affects the superficial layers of the dermis. This peeling does not injure the skin at all. Slight redness may be observed immediately after peeling. The redness will remain for about one to two hours. This procedure gives the skin freshness and dullness, promotes its renewal and provides an even color.
- Medium peeling. To carry it out, trichloroacetic acid is used. It affects the middle layers of the skin. With the help of this procedure, age spots are eliminated and wrinkles are smoothed out, as well as skin color improves. After this type of peeling, a home regimen is necessary for 5-7 days, since the skin at this time will retain a reddish tint, after which the accumulated dead cells will begin to exfoliate. After a week, the skin will be clean, young and healthy.
- Deep peeling. It affects already the deep layers of the dermis. Effective for the correction of scars and wrinkles, pigmentation and hyperkeratosis. This type of peeling is carried out in stationary conditions.
The effect of a chemical peel
The process of exfoliation of the surface layers enhances the processes of skin regeneration, its nutrition and hydration, improves turgor and skin color. In addition, active production of collagen begins, which increases the elasticity, firmness and tone of the skin, smoothes wrinkles.
The peeling procedure can effectively cope with acne, as it helps to restore normal sebum secretion and eliminate congestion.
Peeling is contraindicated in allergic and oncological diseases of the skin, with existing violations of the integrity of the skin (burns, inflammatory processes).
Chemical peel at home
It turns out that peeling can be done at home, but some precautions must be observed.
Despite the fact that the method of using such masks is carefully verified and fully corresponds to the technique of using them at the Institute of Cosmetology, before you start using it yourself, you should consult a cosmetologist.
For example, such peeling is contraindicated for very thin, dry and sensitive facial skin, for various diseases or acute inflammatory processes.
When carrying out such procedures at home, in the event of the first signs of persistent reddening of the skin, their swelling, especially in the eye area, the appearance of cracks or any other unhealthy changes in the skin of the face, the procedure should be stopped immediately. Lubricate the face with boron vaseline.
Before starting the peeling procedure, it is necessary to put on a loose gown and carefully tuck your hair under a scarf, put on thin rubber gloves.
Smear boric Vaseline quite liberally on lips, eyebrows, eyelids, skin around the eyes to avoid discoloration.
There are several home peeling methods. The most common is the classic peeling with bodyagi and 3% hydrogen peroxide. If you add boiled water to the bodyaga instead of peroxide, you will get, instead of chemical peeling, a very good drying mask for oily skin types.
Soft peeling at home with the help of calcium chloride is also widely known.