Chicory is one of the best remedies that effectively fights obesity. Chicory is an herb in the Asteraceae family. It has blue delicate flowers that can be seen on roads, fields and lawns. From its roots, a slightly bitter drink is obtained, which resembles the taste of brewed, slightly burnt coffee.
Chicory is native to the Mediterranean countries. This herbaceous plant grows in a temperate zone, but is also found in tropical countries such as Eurasia, South America, New Zealand, Australia.
There are two types of chicory:
- Ordinary chicory;
- Chicory in the form of lettuce (“Frize”).
In addition, there are 6 different types of chicory, but they grow wild. Huge fields are specially set aside to grow this plant. Chicory is used for weight loss.
Where to buy chicory.
Ground chicory is sold in a pharmacy or store. Sometimes dishonest growers dilute chicory with acorns and fruit-flavored chemicals. Therefore, you need to carefully read the composition. Ideally, if there is a 100% plant root, and not chicory extract, because all the beneficial properties are contained in the root. Ready roots can be stored for 2 years, grass – a year.
In dried form, teas, decoctions and various infusions are prepared from them. You can use instant chicory by mixing it with green tea, anise or plum compote. Also in stores they sell chicory with various dietary supplements that contribute to weight loss.
Slimming with chicory
Weight loss ends for two simple reasons:
- tasteless diets (drinks and foods);
- constant feeling of hunger.
The composition of chicory includes very important components, such as:
- Inulin. Thanks to inulin, carbohydrates in the stomach are quickly absorbed, which prevents glucose from instantly entering the human bloodstream and pushing a large release of insulin. Accordingly, glucose and sugar are converted much faster. Everyone knows very well how sugar affects our weight and leads to overweight and obesity.
- Pectin. It is one of the types of plant fibers that affect the processes of the digestive tract. Nutritionists confirm that pectin is a wonderful fat burner.
- Intibin. Regulates the digestive tract and promotes the natural breakdown of fats in the body. As a result, food is digested much faster, and fats do not have time to be deposited in our body.
How should you use instant chicory in order to lose weight?
Nutritionists advise drinking instant chicory every day for several months. You must forget about your favorite coffee. During the day, you need to drink two or three glasses of this drink, while trying to ensure that the time between drinking chicory and eating is 30 minutes – this will allow the drink to fully show all its medicinal properties. You can dissolve chicory in anything: boiled water, milk (low-fat).
A systematic approach that combines dietary nutrition and the use of chicory will allow you to lose up to 5 kilograms per month. In this case, you do not experience any discomfort. It is also important to use chicory without sugar.
Opinions of doctors regarding chicory for weight loss.
Judging by medical research, chicory alone will not be able to have an important effect on weight loss if you do not use diets and mandatory physical activity. If you drink the drink and eat in the same quantities, you will wait for the effect for a very long time. There is no caffeine in chicory, so medicine prefers it.
Recipes for weight loss with chicory.
- Cut 1 tsp. dried chicory roots, then pour 0.5 liters of water. Boil for 20 minutes, strain the broth and drink half a mug 30 minutes before eating.
- Another great option for a drink: pour 150 grams of chicory root into 0.5 liters of water and boil it for 30 minutes. It is necessary to consume 15 minutes before meals, 150 ml at a time.
- You can prepare not only drinks, but also miraculous soups: chop 150 gr. chicory for salad and stew it in white wine (150 ml) for 10-15 minutes, and then add 100 grams of rice, mushrooms, celery and bell pepper. Eat soup in unlimited quantities, because it is very low in calories.
Fresh chicory leaves are eaten in their pure form. First, rinse the leaves under cold water, then chop and fry them in butter, while adding a small amount of salt. Use chicory as a seasoning for dishes. The most important thing to know is that inflorescences are not suitable for weight loss, as they, on the contrary, will cause appetite.
Chicory salad with apple. Take one apple, cut 100 g of chicory for salad, 200 g of celery leaves. It would be better if all the ingredients are grated, it is even better to use a blender to beat everything well. Mix the resulting mixture well and add a little olive or linseed oil.
Chicory with blueberry juice.
- 250 grams of chicory for salad;
- 200 grams of lettuce leaves;
- one fresh cucumber;
- about 2 tbsp. l. squeezed blueberry juice;
- 1 st. l. linseed oil.
Cut chicory, cucumber and lettuce, then add juice and oil. You can replace the apple with prunes or dried apricots and add some nuts.
Harmful properties of chicory.
Before using chicory, you need to know that it can bring not only benefits, but also harm. If you suffer from varicose veins, as well as vascular diseases, bronchitis, asthma and other lung diseases, you need to stop using it. In any case, you need to consult with your doctor. It is important to remember that chicory is a very useful plant that deserves special attention.
Be beautiful and healthy!