The oil obtained from the dried pulp of coconut has long been a success with the beauties of the East. They say Cleopatra herself maintained the beauty of her hair using coconut oil, which is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E (tocopherol), namely, they are involved in the formation of keratin, the most important element of our hair. Thanks to this composition, coconut oil amazingly nourishes and moisturizes the hair, protects against the negative effects of the environment (long exposure to the sun, wind) and chemicals (hair dryer, ironing, coloring and perming hair). Lauric acid, which is part of coconut oil, is able to kill the fungus that has formed on the scalp, which is why this oil is also credited with antibacterial properties, the ability to fight dandruff and psoriasis.
However, before you start choosing a mask with coconut oil for your hair type, you should understand its types. It can be unrefined and refined. The latter interests us to a lesser extent, since is purified, and therefore with fewer nutrients, more transparent and with a weak aroma, which makes it more preferable in cosmetology. Unrefined oil, on the other hand, is distinguished by a solid consistency, pale yellow (the lower the temperature of the oil, the whiter its shade) color, with a rich aroma. It is this oil that should be preferred for masks.
Coconut oil itself can be called a ready-to-use remedy. In order to start preparing the mask at home, you need to melt the oil in a water bath, but do not allow it to boil. The idea that the hotter the oil, the more effective it is is just a myth. We just need to bring the oil to a liquid state.
Coconut oil can be used on its own or with the addition of other ingredients. In any case, the method of application depends on the type of hair. On oily hair at the roots, it is better to apply oil to the length, while dry hair is well treated with a mixture, starting from the roots themselves. The exposure time depends on the availability of free time and the preferences of the owner of the hair, from half an hour to the whole night, in which case it is better to put a cap on the hair, for example, for a shower, and wrap it with a towel on top. In the morning you will get healthy and shiny hair.
Coconut Oil Mask Recipes
- Fast hair restoration. Coconut oil can be used as a hair conditioner, namely after shampooing, apply a few drops of oil to the hair and comb through. If you have split ends, give them extra attention. As a result, your hair will be protected from the harmful effects of subsequent styling, the hair cuticle, thanks to nutrients, will close, and in the reflection of the mirror you will see shiny, smooth hair.
- Universal mask with coconut oil. Melt two tablespoons (medium-length hair) of coconut oil in a water bath and add a couple of drops of essential oils that you like in aroma or properties to the mass removed from the heat, it may work well: rose, rosemary, lavender. Apply this mixture to your hair, wrap it in warmth and leave it for two to three hours. The result will pleasantly surprise you.
- Mask for curly, curly hair. Naturally dry hair types will love this mask made from a mixture of coconut oil and hemp seed oil. Melt and heat the oils in a water bath in a ratio of 1: 1, apply to hair and wrap in heat. Leave on for a couple of hours and rinse off for shiny, structured curls that radiate health.
- Mask for dry, damaged hair. Mix melted coconut oil with any fermented milk product: for example, kefir, yogurt. Apply to hair, wrap with heat, rinse off after a couple of hours.
- Oily hair mask. As we already wrote, in this case, coconut oil should not be applied to the hair roots, so for the length, choose any mask you like above, and apply, for example, olive oil to the roots with the addition of a couple of drops of bergamot essential oil or tea tree oil. This mask will perfectly strengthen the roots, essential oils will fight oily hair, and coconut oil will do its job for beauty and restoration of hair length.
- Mask for hair prone to dandruff. Mix equal parts olive and melted coconut oil, add lemon juice to the mixture. Separate a little of the mixture and add a couple of drops of tea tree essential oil to it, apply this part to the hair roots, remaining for a length. Wrap in a warm towel and leave for 30 minutes. Make such a mask at least once a month, and preferably every week, and the result will not keep you waiting long.
As you can see, coconut oil masks are quite versatile and easy to use. The oil itself is currently quite an affordable product, widely represented on the market, which affects its low price compared to hair care products from professional lines.
However, coconut oil also has disadvantages that are best taken into account right away. Like any oil, coconut oil can wash out the color of dyed hair. Therefore, before applying, think about the degree of grooming your hair is and what they need more: color or shine. You may be satisfied with the option of applying a couple of drops of oil to dry hair to give them shine and protection. On more affected hair, of course, you need to apply the mixture in the form of a mask. And one more tangible drawback, which is better to know about in advance – this oil is very difficult to wash off from the hair, you may need to do several approaches with shampoo, but the result is worth it.
No wonder the best cosmetic corporations use this ingredient in their professional lines more and more often.