Problems and imperfections of the skin always cause anxiety and affect a person’s self-esteem. There are many types of skin diseases. One of the most common skin diseases is follicular hyperkeratosis. Many people do not pay attention to the signs of this disease, take them for granted and call them goose bumps.
Follicular hyperkeratosis is accompanied by a small rash, which consists of small red pimples. If you look closely, you can see that these pimples appear near the base of the hairs on the body, around which a red rim forms. The skin resembles a goose in appearance, its surface is rough and rough to the touch. In severe cases of the disease, severe peeling and itching may appear. Most often, follicular hyperkeratosis is rather a cosmetic problem and does not cause much physical discomfort and deterioration of well-being.
Follicular hyperkeratosis can appear on almost any part of the body, with the exception of the feet and palms, since there is no hair there. The thighs, buttocks, and back of the arms are most commonly affected. In these places, the skin is drier than in other parts of the body, which is an excellent condition for the development of the disease.
Causes of follicular hyperkeratosis
During the disease, the upper layer of the skin becomes keratinized too quickly, but cannot also quickly separate. As a result, keratinized scales are layered on top of each other on top of the hair base (follicle). Under such a layer, sebum is collected and all this becomes inflamed and forms nodules, a large number of which resemble goose bumps in appearance.
There are many reasons why such problems arise. Often, follicular hyperkeratosis is a hereditary disease, but it also occurs under the influence of external factors due to an inattentive attitude to one’s health and body. In particular, the appearance of follicular hyperkeratosis can provoke:
- Problems with the endocrine system and taking hormonal drugs and contraceptives. Hormones stimulate frequent renewal and keratinization of the epidermis and provoke follicular hyperkeratosis;
- Hormonal changes in the body during adolescence;
- Problems of the gastrointestinal tract, malnutrition leads to a deficiency of B vitamins and as a result to excessive dryness of the skin, which contributes to the development of follicular hyperkeratosis;
- Stress, nervous overload and fatigue always negatively affect the body and weaken it, including the skin;
- Non-compliance with hygiene and the use of harmful detergents for the skin with a drying effect;
- The lack of vitamins primarily affects the skin and hair. The lack of vitamins A, D and C is especially harmful for the skin. Thanks to vitamin C, collagen is produced and blood circulation improves, vitamin A is responsible for the renewal of epidermal cells, vitamin D stimulates the intestines and controls the renewal of skin cells.
How to treat follicular hyperkeratosis and alleviate the course of the disease
Dermatologists say that it is impossible to completely get rid of follicular hyperkeratosis, the disease is chronic, you can only follow some rules so as not to provoke the appearance of this disease, reduce inflammation, facilitate its course and improve skin condition.
- First you need to monitor your diet, if necessary, follow a diet and restore normal intestinal microflora. Eat foods rich in vitamins or use purchased vitamins.
- Drink enough clean water. It is water that contributes to the proper functioning of the skin.
- Restore the proper functioning of the endocrine system.
- In no case should you try to squeeze out the nodules on the skin, because this injures it and contributes to infection. Any aggressive methods of mechanical cleaning of the skin should be avoided.
- Maintain hygiene and keep the skin clean. Choose the right cleanser that won’t dry out your skin. Use acid peels as a deep cleansing agent. For example, peels with fruit acids, lactic or salicylic.
- Regularly use lotion, cream or body milk with a moisturizing and nourishing effect. Especially after skin contact with water, i.e. after all kinds of bath procedures. This will help keep the skin moisturized and prevent excessive dryness, flaking and itching.
- With follicular hyperkeratosis, it is not recommended to sunbathe in the sun or in a solarium. Although after sunbathing the skin condition improves slightly and it smoothes out, it also loses moisture, dries, becomes thin and vulnerable, which can exacerbate the disease.
- Wear comfortable clothes, preferably made from natural materials, that do not rub or irritate the skin of the body.
- A visit to the sauna and bath promotes steaming of the skin and facilitates the delicate cleansing of the skin from keratinized particles with the help of peelings. The skin becomes visibly even, soft and pleasant to the touch, for some time the effect of goose bumps may even disappear completely.
- Beauty salons offer an algae wrap procedure, which not only eliminates cellulite and rejuvenates the skin, but improves its condition with follicular hyperkeratosis.
- Hard and chlorinated water is bad for skin health. Naturally, it is difficult to deal with such a phenomenon as bad tap water, but you can reduce its harm by adding herbal decoctions or milk to the water bath.
- Be especially attentive to the condition of the skin in the autumn-winter period, when the skin is most vulnerable and overdried from the cold, exposure to climate technology and clothing.
Very often, in women, the disease completely disappears with age or after childbirth. The hormonal background of a woman changes during this period, which leads to a cure for follicular hyperkeratosis.
What does traditional medicine recommend in the fight against the disease
As an additional skin care and remedy for goose bumps, you can turn to folk remedies:
- a sea salt bath will help soften the skin and cleanse the pores and follicles of dead particles. You can use a sponge or washcloth made from natural materials;
- baths with a decoction of chamomile;
- honey massage helps not only to reduce the volume, but also to clean the pores;
- in case of severe redness, it is necessary to lubricate the affected areas of the body with celandine juice, but first it is better to carry out an allergy test on the elbow bend;
- masks for body skin from fermented milk products;
- raw potato and aloe masks. To do such procedures is quite …