For several decades, Strelnikova’s breathing exercises have been helping people regain their health. The breathing exercise program was developed to restore the vocal abilities of opera soloists. But in the course of the conducted studies, positive results were revealed in the treatment and rehabilitation of patients suffering from pulmonary, cardiovascular diseases.
What is the uniqueness of Strelnikova’s method?
The peculiarity of the method is that when performing an element of the exercise aimed at squeezing the diaphragm, a short, strong breath is taken. As if a person, seeing a fire, inhales sharply to catch the smell of smoke. At the same time, the internal organs of the abdominal cavity are massaged, which provides additional blood flow. And what is most important is that this way of breathing increases the supply of oxygen to the brain cells, and the gas composition of the blood changes positively.
The main advantages of breathing exercises are:
- for training you need only a little free space and 30 minutes of free time;
- you can start gymnastics from the age of three and up to advanced years;
- a small number of contraindications;
- the ability to practice even in a supine position, when the physical condition of a person does not allow to get up.
When training, two conditions are indispensable:
- movements to compress the chest are made during inspiration;
- during training, you can not focus on exhalation, let it be spontaneous.
Who is breathing exercises recommended for?
There are a number of diseases in the treatment of which breathing exercises have a positive effect and speed up the rehabilitation process. These include:
- ENT diseases;
- pulmonary diseases (pneumonia, tuberculosis, bronchitis);
- various forms of neurosis, depression;
- hormonal disorders;
- diseases caused by disruption of the cardiovascular system;
- diseases of the joints and spine.
Presence of contraindications
The list of conditions in which breathing exercises are prohibited is minimal, it includes:
- acute febrile condition caused by an increase in body temperature;
- internal bleeding;
- exacerbation of thrombophlebitis.
Even a person who has had a stroke or heart attack is recommended to do exercises that are feasible for him.
Highlights in technology
Exercises are performed in sets or series. The number of movements in each series is grouped into 8. As a result, the total number of repetitions of breaths should be equal to 96. The ideal starting position is standing, while the back is straight. If it is impossible to comply with this rule, you can start training in any convenient position. After completing the approach, you need to stop for a few seconds, pause. After a short rest, continue the execution.
You need to do breathing exercises in the morning before breakfast, and in the evening before dinner, for about half an hour. Taking a deep, short breath through your nose, you need to slightly close your lips, at the same moment make an element for movement.
It is necessary to master Strelnikova’s technique from basic exercises. By regularly performing only them, you can already feel the healing power of breathing exercises.
- Warm-up exercise “Palms” – bent arms are raised up, palms are turned away from you, as if showing them. On inhalation, you need to squeeze them strongly, exhale – relax.
- The second exercise “Paulets” – clenched fists are pressed at the waist on the sides, inhale – sharply lower them, opening your fingers and straining your shoulders. Exhaling, return your hands to your belt.
- We finish with the third warm-up exercise “Pump” – lean forward, slightly rounding your back and lowering your head. Hands must be kept down. At the end point of the slope, inhale. Returning to the starting position, do not fully straighten the body. During the bends, the lower back should be relaxed – no tension.
There are some limitations to this exercise. There is no need to make a strong inclination for those who suffer from chronic diseases of the joints and spine, kidney and liver stones, and hypertension.
The number of executions is 12 series of 8 times. As you master the technique of gymnastics, the number of movements – breaths in one approach becomes first 16, then 32 times. Accordingly, the number of approaches decreases. You should always remember that the total number of breaths in one exercise should be equal to – 96!
Having mastered the warm-up tasks, you should go to the main complex. The exercises described below should be gradually added to the workouts in the specified sequence.
- A fun exercise “cat” – holding the hands at the waist, do light squats in a dance rhythm, and at the same time turn the upper body from side to side. When turning, take a deep breath, and the hands make throwing movements.
- Chest Compression Exercise “Hug Your Shoulders” – if the patient is in serious condition, it is recommended to skip the study until signs of improvement appear. There is a positive effect in patients after a stroke in the development of the injured hand. Bent arms are at chest level, one above the other (remember how you sat at your desk), while inhaling, move your hands towards each other trying to hug your shoulders. At the same time, the hand located on top should remain there all the time. The elbows of the hands form a triangle. On the exhale, we spread our arms, but not to the end, but as if forming a square.
- The next exercise “Big Pendulum” combines two into one – “Pump” and “Hug your shoulders.” Lean down – inhale, immediately bend back a little, hugging your shoulders with an inhale. Exhale while lifting.
- “Head turns” – the name speaks for itself, you need to turn your head left and right while taking a breath.
- “Ears” or “Chinese dummy” – slight tilts of the head to the shoulders, as if reproaching something. While tilting, inhale.
- “Small pendulum” – lower your head while inhaling, then tilt it up – inhale again. With hypertension, epilepsy, cervical osteochondrosis, the slopes should be shallow.
- Forward – backward or “Rolls” – the right leg is extended forward. Shift the weight onto it, with the left foot lightly touching the floor with the toe, maintaining balance, and slightly bent at the knee. Inhale – squat down on the right leg easily and springy, straighten the left leg, transferring the weight to it. Now the right toe touches the floor and is bent at the knee. Squatting on the left take a breath.
- We train in the rhythm of rock-n-roll, or “Step forward” – raise the right knee to the level of the abdomen, inhaling, sit down slightly on the left. Exhale – lower the leg. Repeat by changing the supporting leg.
“Steps back” – now taking a breath, bent in …