Even the ancient Egyptian beauties knew how to change the color of their hair. What can we say about the modern representatives of the fair sex – today it is rare to find a woman who has not dyed her hair at least once. Some do it regularly, others every few years, but sooner or later each of them asks the question – how often can you dye your hair?
After all, it is known that coloring to one degree or another can affect both the structure of the hair and their density. However, it is hardly possible to give an unambiguous answer to this question. The fact is that each coloring agent affects the hair in different ways.
To date, there are several types of coloring compositions, namely: paints, tints and natural dyes.
How often can you color your hair?
The most common remedy is hair dye. According to the composition and degree of aggressiveness, they can be divided into ammonia and non-ammonia. The main function of ammonia is to help the coloring pigment penetrate deep into the hair and stay there for a long time. As a rule, most resistant paints contain this component.
In order to protect the hair as much as possible, it is recommended to dye it with persistent paints no more than once every two months. In this case, two rules must be observed:
- in no case do not keep the paint on your head longer than the allotted time, otherwise a burn of the scalp cannot be avoided;
- if staining with resistant paint has already been carried out, then the composition can only be applied to regrown hair roots, so as not to re-expose the entire hair to the negative effects of the coloring mixture.
Ammonia-free paints have a more gentle effect on the hair, and the coloring pigments seem to “envelop” them, giving the desired shade. But the durability of such compounds is much lower – after about a month, the paint is washed off, and the hair color becomes dull. Therefore, the staining procedure has to be repeated every month and a half.
As you can see, hair coloring, even with gentle paint, can be done no more than once a month. However, it is worth noting here that we are talking, first of all, about paints for home use. In cases where it is impossible to achieve the desired shade in one staining procedure, only coloring specialists in salon conditions can help. Usually, for hair coloring, professionals use special caring coloring compounds that gently affect the hair, practically without damaging it. Thanks to the knowledge of specialists and the sparing composition of professional paints, the hair coloring procedure in the salon can be carried out quite often, up to several times in one visit.
Separately, I would like to say about such a procedure as hair highlighting. For her, bleaching compounds are most often used, which are no less harmful than paint. However, given that the composition is not applied to all hair, but only to some of them, highlighting can be considered a more gentle type of coloring. In addition, regrown roots on highlighted hair are not so conspicuous, so you can carry out the re-highlighting procedure no more than once every two to three months.
How often can you dye your hair with tint?
Tinting agents contain much fewer harmful substances than paints, so many believe that the harm to hair from them is minimal. They cannot radically change the existing hair color, but they are quite capable of giving the hair the desired shade. Today, on the windows of shops you can find various shampoos, tonics, tint balms and conditioners.
But it is by no means so safe. After all, although in small doses, ammonia and hydrogen peroxide are still present in their composition, so the use of tint products more than once every two weeks has the same negative effect on the hair as regular permanent paint. In addition, it is necessary to remember some of the nuances associated with the use of tint agents:
- firstly, they are not suitable for painting over gray hair, because. can, on the contrary, aggravate the situation by making gray hair even more noticeable;
- secondly, it is highly not recommended to apply tinting agents to hair previously dyed with henna, otherwise there is a possibility of obtaining completely unexpected shades.
How often can you dye your hair naturally?
In addition to chemical compositions for dyeing hair, there are also dyes of natural origin, such as henna and basma. Depending on the desired color, henna and basma are mixed in various proportions, or only henna is used. Coloring with pure basma gives the hair a green color, so it is not used separately. As in the case of tinting agents, the use of natural dyes is not recommended for painting over gray hair, and in other cases, their use will only benefit.
Thanks to the natural ingredients, henna and basma help strengthen hair roots, get rid of dandruff, and accelerate hair growth.
It would seem that if natural dyes have such a wonderful healing effect, then they can be used without restrictions. However, there is one nuance here. The fact is that with frequent use, henna contributes to blockage of hair scales, as a result of which they lose their softness and shine. Therefore, it is recommended to use these natural remedies for coloring all hair no more than once every two months.
How to keep hair healthy when coloring?
In order for the staining procedure to have a minimal effect on the condition of the hair, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- after dyeing your hair, you must definitely use specially designed products for the care of dyed hair – shampoos, balms and conditioners. These products not only nourish damaged hair, but also help to smooth their scales, which in turn does not allow coloring pigments to wash out. Thus, it is possible to slightly prolong the brightness of the color and delay the next staining procedure.
- to tint regrown roots and update a slightly faded shade of hair, you can use the combined coloring method. For this grown …