Smooth, delicate skin without excess vegetation is the dream of every modern woman. But sometimes the price they pay for its performance is too high. During epilation, the hair is completely removed from the hair follicle, which leads to unbearable pain. For this reason, epilation without pain is a hot topic, as most hair removal methods are very painful.
Today, a variety of methods and means are known for how to anesthetize hair removal and depilation. All these actions are divided into two groups: medicinal and non-drug.
Non-drug methods of pain relief
In some cases, you can refuse drug anesthesia. If you follow some recommendations, you can carry out pain relief without the use of drugs.
For example, to anesthetize epilation and depilation of hair on the legs:
- you should not use ice before the procedure, as the vessels spasm from the cold, the muscles tense up, the pores narrow. All this leads to difficulty in removing hair and to increased pain.
- It is not recommended to use cosmetic preparations containing alcohol. Such drugs make the skin more dense (have a tanning effect) and also make the process of hair removal more difficult.
- you should use a scrub, which will reduce pain and facilitate the process of hair removal.
- it is recommended to epilate hair in the first week of the menstrual cycle. Hair removal during the premenstrual period can cause unbearable pain.
- to reduce pain when using wax strips, the actions of the beautician should be clear and fast
- steaming the skin with a hot compress can reduce pain and prepare the skin for epilation
- mental attitude, and breathing exercises can reduce pain during epilation
Attention! Wipe the skin dry before applying the wax strips.
A good way to reduce pain during epilation is to use attachments. There are a large number of attachments for the epilator. For example, nozzles with thinned discs can reduce pain by the number of simultaneous pulling hairs. The cooling cap is a very effective method of pain relief.
This is a small cavity filled with water that is placed in the freezer and then attached to the machine just before the procedure. In the process of epilation, the cold acts as an anesthetic, which not only reduces pain, but also reduces skin irritation in the post-epilation period.
To radically get rid of unwanted hair by hardware methods, they resort to the help of medicinal painkillers that completely eliminate pain.
Medicinal methods of pain relief
There are three methods to anesthetize hair removal:
- local use of anesthetic
- subcutaneous use
- oral use
With local and subcutaneous anesthesia, the drug lidocaine is successfully used. For subcutaneous administration of lidocaine, an insulin syringe and a 2% solution of the drug are used. Attention! Skin tests should be performed to avoid an allergic reaction. A scratch is made on the inside of the arm and a small amount of anesthetic is applied by drip method.
A strong reaction in the form of hyperemia indicates the presence of an allergic disease. In this case, anesthesia with lidocaine is strictly prohibited. Lidocaine is a drug that has a weak allergic manifestation, but it is necessary to take into account the individual characteristics of each organism and remember the simple truth: “informed means armed.”
For topical application, lidocaine is used in the form of a spray. The spray is sprayed at the site of the intended action and closed for a while with an airtight bandage.
Lidocaine begins to show an anesthetic effect 10-20 minutes after application. Within an hour, the sensitivity of the skin will be reduced. The time required for anesthesia depends on the individual characteristics of the person, as well as on the following points:
- the presence of a cream on the skin that needs to be removed before applying the anesthetic
- amount of product applied
- skin temperature
- residence time of the anesthetic on the skin
Emla anesthetic cream gives a good external effect. It contains two painkillers lidocaine and prilocaine. To achieve a sustainable effect, you should keep the drug on the skin for an hour under an airtight bandage. The anesthetic effect occurs 2 hours after the bandage is removed.
When epilating in delicate areas such as the bikini area, it is recommended to use two anesthetics. Emla cream is applied to the skin area, and closed with a bandage for a certain time. After removing the bandage, an injection of lidocaine is made in the same place.
Emla cream is not applied to damaged skin (in the presence of abrasions, scratches, pustules). In this case, an allergic reaction is possible.
When is lidocaine not recommended?
Do not use lidocaine
- in violation of the internal organs (kidneys and liver)
- with stable hypotension
- in the presence of an allergic disease, individual intolerance to the drug
Oral medications for epilation pain relief
The range of oral drugs that reduce pain during epilation is very large. Usually, a combined intake of painkillers is used, consisting of anti-inflammatory nonsteroidal drugs (diclofenac, indomethacin, ibuprofen) and analgesics (tempalgin, analgin). But you should not select analgesics in an independent way. The recommendations of a specialist will help you choose the best option for anesthesia of the epilation process.