Pain in the spine, lower back, knees, elbows, polyarthritis and osteoarthritis – people over 40, unfortunately, are very familiar with these unpleasant symptoms. Our joints, like all other organs of our body, gradually wear out. Of course, we cannot prevent this, but it is quite possible to help ourselves, to give ourselves the joy of getting rid of pain with the help of simple and affordable medicines.
Indomethacin ointment is just such a tool. Of course, this is not a panacea for all ills, but a very good pain reliever for external use. It should be immediately warned, no matter how harmless any medicine may seem, even for external use, nevertheless, it should be used very carefully without a doctor’s prescription. Indomethacin ointment is freely sold in pharmacies and dispensed without prescriptions, but without consulting a doctor, it can be used for no more than two weeks.
What does Indomethacin ointment help with?
Indomethacin is a yellowish ointment with a mint odor, designed to provide anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antipyretic effects. According to statistics, more than half of middle-aged people suffer from osteochondrosis – a disease of the joints. Often this disease is associated with metabolic disorders in the body, and since this problem is widespread, as a result, a gradual disease of the joints, their modification, destruction. This is too dangerous a problem to ignore. Unfortunately, we pay attention to the problem when it already begins to bother us greatly. Therefore, you should not postpone treatment, start fighting the disease as soon as the first symptoms appear – tingling in the back, numbness of the limbs, stiffness of movements in the joints in the morning.
Ointment Indomethacin perfectly fights these problems. Reduces swelling and swelling of the joints, helps to reduce morning stiffness, facilitates and increases the range of motion, is indicated for the following diseases:
- various diseases of the musculoskeletal system – rheumatoid arthritis, arthrosis, osteoarthritis (inflammation of one or more joints);
- back pain, neuralgia;
- humeroscapular periarthritis (feeling as if through the shoulder blade);
- different types of sciatica – sciatica, lumbago;
- sprains of muscles, ligaments and tendons as a result of injuries, sprains, as well as pain in the joints after dislocation, heavy load or bruises.
The main treating component of the ointment is indomethacin. In addition, it contains several auxiliary ingredients:
- dimexide – an anesthetic, has an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect at the site of application of the ointment;
- trolamine – creates a soft base of the ointment;
- polyethylene oxide – binds components;
- nipagin – a preservative that increases the shelf life of the drug;
- water that has passed several degrees of purification – to create the required consistency of the ointment.
Based on the many positive reviews of patients who have used Indomethacin ointment on themselves, it can be said with confidence that it has a good analgesic effect, which, depending on the severity of the disease, is observed already on the second or third day after the start of use.
Mode of application
In case of pain in the joints – knee, elbow, shoulder – the ointment is applied directly to the skin near the joint with a thin layer. For pain in the neck, spine, with radiculitis, the ointment should be applied to the sore spot, slightly expanding the radius of application. When stretching muscles, ligaments, with dislocations and bruises, apply the ointment to the location of the pain, in a thin layer, do not rub it strongly. Indomethacin ointment has a greasy texture to the touch, but it is not recommended to completely rub the ointment into the skin or apply dressings. It is better to wait a little while the ointment is absorbed. This happens quite quickly, and the active ingredients begin to act within 5 minutes after application in the subcutaneous tissues. Then the medicinal components penetrate into the joint fluid, the period of their active action lasts 5-7 days.
The ointment should be applied 3 or 4 times a day, with light movements, at one time 3-5 cm (depending on the area of the diseased area) of the product squeezed out of the package. Children over six years of age are recommended to use no more than 7 cm of ointment per day. It is necessary to avoid getting the ointment on damaged skin, open wounds and mucous membranes. Any preparations containing indomethacin are very effective, but the medicinal substance itself has many contraindications and therefore it is better to consult a doctor before use.
Like any drug containing the substance indomethacin, Indomethacin ointment has a number of contraindications for use:
- if the patient has hypersensitivity to the constituent components of the drug;
- severe renal failure;
- children under 6 years old;
- limit use in phases 1 and 2 of pregnancy and avoid in phase 3;
- during breastfeeding.
During prolonged use, local allergic reactions may occur – rash, redness, itching. In these cases, you should immediately stop treatment with ointment and consult a doctor.
Analogues of the drug Indomethacin
The ointment has a number of analogues, the composition and action of which resemble or supplement the action of Indomethacin:
- Indovazin – ointment or gel, in addition to indomethacin, contains troxerutin – a venotonic, decongestant substance. Thus, Indovazin ointment reduces capillary permeability, perfectly strengthens the walls of blood vessels, and reduces tissue swelling. It is effectively used for radiculitis, chronic and acute forms of polyarthritis, inflammation of the nerves, various joint injuries, dislocations, sprains. It perfectly relieves swelling after surgery, treats hematomas, as it improves blood microcirculation, thereby strengthening blood vessels.
- Indobene – also an ointment or gel, has a similar pharmacological effect, is more often used to treat injuries of tendons, ligaments, joint dislocations, sprains, bruises. The ointment is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis, osteochondrosis, lumbago, shoulder-arm syndrome and some other similar diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
There are several more drugs that have a similar therapeutic effect with the same symptoms of the disease – Indomethacin-Biosynthesis ointment, Indomethacin-Acri, Indotard, Metindol. All of them also have contraindications, since they all contain indomethacin and one must be very careful when using these ointments.
But, most importantly, do not start the disease, start treatment on time. As you know, the prevention of the treatment of any disease is much …