Mefenamic acid has anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties. It helps to reduce the inflammatory process. This drug improves wound healing. The antipyretic effect of the drug is due to the fact that Mefenamic acid reduces the production of prostaglandins. The tool has an antiviral effect, since it improves the formation of interferon.
In what cases should it be applied?
Mefenamic acid is used in inflammatory diseases of the joints. The drug reduces swelling and relieves inflammation. It can be used for rheumatism and arthritis. The duration of the course of treatment for pathologies of the joints can reach two months. Mefenamic acid is effective in the complex treatment of influenza and viral infections.
The medication will help with women’s problems: it should be used for dysfunctional dysmenorrhea and prolonged uterine bleeding. The drug can be taken with headache, muscle, postoperative pain.
What dosages are provided?
Mefenamic acid should be taken orally, after meals. The drug should be taken with milk. Children who have reached the age of 12 should drink 250 – 500 mg of the drug three times a day. The maximum daily dosage is 3000 mg. Upon reaching positive dynamics, the dose is reduced to 1000 mg. Children aged five to twelve years should take mefanamic acid no more than four times a day, 250 mg each. The duration of treatment is about a month. In the therapeutic treatment of a pain symptom, the drug must be consumed for at least a week.
What can be said about side effects?
Mefenamic acid causes adverse changes in the digestive system of the body. Often, when using the drug, abdominal pain, diarrhea and nausea occur. The drug can cause internal bleeding, stomach ulcers, pancreatitis. It often increases the level of liver enzymes in the blood. Acid also affects the hematopoietic system of the body: it can lead to anemia and thrombocytopenia. This medication can increase blood pressure, changes in heart rate. In rare cases, after taking the medicine, heart failure develops, edema appears.
The acid can cause bronchial spasms and an allergic reaction. It worsens the condition of the kidneys and nervous system. When taking the medicine, the patient is often disturbed by sleep, he becomes irritable. The drug negatively affects the senses: when taking this medication, there may be tinnitus, vision problems, inflammation of the eyes.
To whom is this medicine contraindicated?
In some cases, this medication should not be used:
- Mefenamic acid should not be taken with individual susceptibility to the components of the drug.
- This medicine is prohibited for use in gastric ulcer and inflammatory processes in the intestines.
- It should not be prescribed for severe blood diseases, serious pathologies of the liver and kidneys.
- Children under the age of five should not drink this medicine.
- The drug is forbidden to use during the period of bearing a child, during breastfeeding. The medicine increases the heart rate of the unborn baby.
- The drug should not be taken by women who plan to become pregnant in the near future, since after its use there may be problems with conception.
This drug has a large number of side effects. When treating with this drug, care must be taken:
- This medication should not be used by people who have had heart surgery.
- The use of this medicine is not recommended if you are allergic to aspirin.
- In elderly patients, adverse complications may occur during treatment.
- The risk group also includes patients with diabetes, epilepsy, angina pectoris. Such patients need to reduce the recommended dosage of the drug.
- If a person has systemic lupus erythematosus, taking the drug is not recommended due to the high likelihood of meningitis.
- Treatment should be discontinued if skin rash and diarrhea occur. With prolonged use of the drug, it is necessary to monitor blood parameters and kidney function.
- This medication dulls the natural reaction of the body, when treating with this drug, care must be taken when driving a machine.
The opinion of Dr. Komarovsky
A well-known pediatrician does not advise the use of mefenamic acid in the treatment of children. The pediatrician believes that this medicine is highly effective and quickly reduces the temperature. But the composition of the drug contains a large amount of harmful substances, so many developed countries have abandoned the use of this drug as an antipyretic.
Komarovsky writes that to reduce the temperature, it is better to use Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. These drugs meet all the necessary requirements. They are effective and suitable for the treatment of small patients.
How to use the healing paste correctly?
Paste and medicinal solution containing mefenamic acid must be used within a few days, so they should be prepared before use. The paste is used to get rid of toothache. The therapeutic course involves at least seven sessions. For ulcers on the mucous membrane of the oral cavity, applications are made using an aqueous solution of the agent. Such procedures should be carried out up to two times a day.
Useful remedy based on mefenamic acid
The Mefenat ointment, in addition to this acid, contains vilinin. It has a bacteriostatic effect. Vilinin is effective for wound healing. It can be used for trophic ulcers, purulent wounds, burns. This remedy is also prescribed for eczema, boils, severe cracks on the lips.
Polyethylene oxide is also present in the structure of the ointment. It reduces the inflammatory process and promotes deep penetration of the ointment into the skin.
The ointment has a local effect, it gives a long-lasting effect. The average duration of action is 10 hours.
The agent should be applied to the affected part of the body with a gauze pad twice a day. The drug has a slight analgesic effect. The duration of treatment is about 14 days. Sometimes there is irritation in the place where the ointment was applied. The redness usually goes away after a few days.
How does the drug interact with other drugs?