Every woman should know how long her menstrual cycle lasts, and also what the rate of delay in menstruation can be. This information is very important.
A healthy woman has a cycle of 28-35 days. These figures are considered normal indicators, but are not mandatory – there may be deviations both up and down. If, after 28-35 days, menstruation has not begun, then we can talk about a delay. This can be a sign of pregnancy, and it can also mean that there are some health problems. In both cases, you should consult a gynecologist.
What is the delay in menstruation can be considered acceptable? In gynecology, the norm is 5-7 days. A longer absence of menstruation indicates a pathological condition of the female body.
For whom is a long delay in menstruation not dangerous?
When menstruation has not started after 7 days, a woman who cares about her health should be worried. But for some, a delay in menstruation for up to 6 months is not considered a deviation. These women include:
- young girls whose menstrual cycle is not yet fully established. Most often, this process can take from one to two years.
- girls who had their first sexual experience. They are most often in a stressful state, which leads to a delay in menstruation.
- women who have recently become mothers and breastfeeding a baby. During breastfeeding, the body releases the hormone prolactin, which blocks the maturation of eggs.
- women aged 40-45 years. During this period of life, the menstrual cycle most often goes astray. Bleeding can become scarce, greatly delayed. In women under 40-45 years old, there is often a “skipping” of menstruation.
Apart from the above group of people, even a slight absence of menstruation should alert a woman. She needs to understand the reasons for the delay and be sure to seek medical advice to rule out more serious problems. After all, the absence of menstruation can indicate such serious diseases as uterine fibroids, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis and other equally serious diseases.
Factors affecting the absence of menstruation
If the delay in menstruation is not due to pregnancy, then you should immediately consult a doctor. The gynecologist will identify the causes of the deviation in the cycle and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Among the reasons leading to the absence of menstruation, we can distinguish:
- nervous tension, stress, depression, lack of normal sleep. Stress can be either short-term or long-term. The strongest emotional shock, shock, as well as physical and emotional overstrain can provoke a failure in the menstrual cycle.
- diet, sudden weight loss. Women who adhere to a strict diet bring their body to a stressful state. With starvation or poor nutrition, the body is deprived of the required amount of vitamins and amino acids, hormonal imbalance occurs and, as a result, the absence of menstruation.
- obesity, rapid weight gain. Too much weight blocks the production of tarragon, which leads to the development of hyperandrogenism and delayed menstruation.
- high physical exertion or mental strain.
- acclimatization when traveling, moving.
- taking hormonal drugs. When taking this group of medications, the hormonal background changes, thereby disrupting the menstrual cycle.
- anovulation. The menstrual cycle without ovulation, that is, without the maturation of the egg, can appear at any time in any woman. This is considered normal. The absence of menstruation for 5 days with an anovulatory cycle is not considered a pathology.
- diseases of the genital organs. These include polycystic ovaries, inflammation of the appendages, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, as well as inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system (cystitis, adnexitis).
- gynecological procedures. Curettage, cauterization of erosive conditions of the cervix, colposcopy, hysteroscopy, and abortion can lead to a change in the menstrual cycle.
In addition, a different period of absence of menstruation may be due to other factors.
Absence of menstruation 2-3 days
If a woman carefully monitors her health and has a regular menstrual cycle, and also knows its duration, then a delay of 2-3 days is not unusual. This may be due to stress, changes in diet or climate, or due to physical overexertion.
In addition, the absence of menstruation for 2-3 days may also indicate the onset of conception.
Delayed menstruation more than 3 days
Delaying menstruation for a period of 4 to 7 days is normal for some women. This is a kind of restructuring of the body, a reaction to stress, moving or excessive physical or mental stress.
If a woman has no periods for more than three days, and a pregnancy test gave a negative result, then you should consult a doctor. He will help determine the cause of this failure and prescribe the necessary treatment.
If there is a slight change in the hormonal background, then they usually talk about such a thing as “ovarian dysfunction”. The cause of such a failure may be a violation in the endocrine system of the body.
No period for more than 7 days
If menstruation is absent for more than 7 days and this is not due to such factors as stress, change of residence or climate, taking hormonal drugs, then you should immediately visit a doctor. Various gynecological diseases, endocrine changes and other pathological processes occurring in a woman’s body can lead to such a failure.
If the absence of menstruation is due to hormonal changes or any gynecological diseases, this can lead to the formation of malignant neoplasms. If you do not pay attention to this process, such tumors can become inoperable.
If you do not pay due attention to the inflammation of the genitourinary system, it can become chronic, which in turn can lead to infertility.
To prevent such serious consequences, you should consult a doctor in time. The gynecologist will prescribe the necessary tests, ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs, computer or magnetic resonance imaging of the brain. Early diagnosis and correct diagnosis will allow you to quickly start treatment.
What to do if a woman had a delay in menstruation? The first step is to make sure that this does not indicate a pregnancy. If there was no unprotected sexual intercourse or the test is negative, you need to remember not …