Prolapse or prolapse of the uterus is a disease in which the uterus changes its location, descending towards the vagina. Prolapse occurs as a result of weakening of the muscles of the pelvic area. At the same time, the uterus itself loses its tone and the work of nearby organs is disrupted.
There are such types of prolapse (depending on changes in the anatomical position of the uterus):
- when the uterus is closer to the vagina;
- when the uterus sags into the vagina;
- when the uterus goes beyond it.
How to detect uterine prolapse?
If there are complaints that may indicate this disease, you should contact a gynecologist. Only with a professional examination can a diagnosis be made. There are such complaints:
- violation of the urinary system (increased or intensified urination, its delay);
- pulling pains in the lower abdomen;
- feeling of pressure, heaviness.
What diagnostic methods are used?
In addition to a gynecological examination by a gynecologist, other (additional) examination methods are also used. These include:
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity and pelvic organs;
- CT scan of the pelvic organs;
- taking smears;
- diagnostic curettage of the uterine cavity.
Who is at risk?
Uterine prolapse can occur in any woman. But most often occurs in such cases:
- burdened heredity;
- numerous genera;
- congenital defects of the genital organs;
- pelvic trauma;
- surgical interventions on the genitals;
- heavy physical labor;
- obesity in the presence of visceral fat in large quantities.
Menopausal women are also at risk.
In addition, uterine prolapse can occur as a result of prolonged and frequent constipation, severe coughing, and physical inactivity.
What treatments are used?
Depending on the severity of the condition, either conservative or surgical treatment is used. If the course of the disease is complicated by prolapse of the uterus, then surgical treatment is necessarily indicated. Perform vaginoplasty. The purpose of the operation: strengthening the muscles that hold the uterus, bladder, vagina. If the prolapse of a severe degree and the uterus, as a reproductive organ, is not in demand (old age, large families), then its complete removal is also possible. But still, it is undesirable to remove it.
In the postoperative period, it is worth avoiding all those factors that lead to omission. It is worth noting that it is forbidden to lift weights of more than 10 kg.
Conservative treatment includes:
- exercise therapy;
- gynecological massage;
- hormone therapy;
- physiotherapy procedures;
- Spa treatment.
The most important method of conservative treatment is exercise. They help stop the disease process and reverse it. If you regularly and persistently perform the necessary complexes, you can correct the prolapse of the uterus. Use several complexes for different muscle groups.
A set of exercises to strengthen the abdominal press:
- “Scissors”. To perform this exercise, you need to lie on your back with your legs straight. Hands should be placed under the back, on the buttocks. Leg swings are performed to the right and left at the same time, which is very similar to the movement of scissors.
- “Bike”. Lying on your back, bend your knees and pull them to the pelvis. Place your hands behind your head, and alternately touch the opposite knee with your elbow. Do several sets of 15-20 times. If it is very difficult, you can start with 5 times.
- Standard press. The usual approaches to strengthen the press are also very relevant when lowering the uterus. You need to perform 2-3 sets of 10-15 times. You can start with a smaller number of times, constantly increasing the number of approaches.
- Twisting lying on the floor. Lie on your back, bend your knees, and place your hands behind your head. Raise your head along with the shoulder girdle and reach for your stomach. When performing this exercise, you should monitor your breathing: when lifting – exhale, when relaxing – inhale.
- Twisting, lying on the floor with legs raised. Lie on the floor, stretched out in one line. Raise your legs up and fix in this position. Hands need to reach for the legs, then touch the toes of the legs, and then lie back down. Perform the exercise 10-15 times.
- Pulling the legs to the stomach in a sitting position. You need to sit on a chair or on the floor. Place your hands on the floor, on the sides of the body. Lift your legs off the floor and bend at the knees, pulling them as close to your chest as possible. Then straighten your legs without touching the floor. You can complicate the exercise by removing the support in the form of hands. Place them on the hips or stretching forward.
- Raising the legs, lying on a horizontal surface.
- Side crunches, lying on your side. Lie on your side, bend your legs at the knees. Place the lower hand on the stomach, the upper one behind the head. The elbow is drawn to the stomach. Perform 15-25 sets on each side.
- Plank. You need to lie on your stomach, then rise on your hands so that the only points of contact with the floor are your elbows and toes. You need to perform the exercises within one minute. Out of habit, the body will tremble, so at first you can stand as much as you can.
This procedure is very effective for any anatomical and physiological pathologies of the uterus. When performed correctly and intensively, massage increases the tone of the muscles and ligamentous apparatus of the pelvic organs, the uterus, and also increases its contractility.
Gynecological massage should be performed only by a certified specialist. Before prescribing the procedure, the diagnosis and type of uterine prolapse should be clarified using additional research methods (ultrasound of the pelvic organs). You should also exclude the presence of genital infections, diseases of the urinary system and gastrointestinal tract, as well as oncology in the abdominal region. Since the massage improves blood flow in the internal organs, this can lead to a deterioration in the patient’s condition.
The procedure is performed on a gynecological chair. The main task of a woman in this case is to relax the muscles as much as possible and breathe properly. This is taught by the doctor at the very first lesson. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes.
The most well-known technique for training intimate muscles is the Kegel technique. This technique is effective, but in case of a severe course of the process, only the implementation of the complex will not help. It is necessary to connect exercise therapy, hormonal therapy and physiotherapy.
You need to start treatment with the simplest exercises. In this case, you need to breathe deeply and pull the muscles up. The main thing when performing the Kegel complex is not to overdo it – you must perform a strictly prescribed number of exercises. Doing more…