In order to understand how safe such a diet is, you need to figure out what salt is for in general. Many consider it very harmful, and few people know that salt is absolutely necessary for our body. It is able to retain water in the human body by regulating the presence of a certain amount of water. If salt is not supplied at all, then the body loses water. And, it’s no secret that this component is extremely important for the life of the body.
A salt-free diet leads to the fact that the body begins to excrete water very actively and forcefully. In the beginning, this may seem like a positive effect. If a person has minor or significant edema, then the edema disappears during the diet.
Many people make the mistake of saying that a salt-free diet completely eliminates salt. No, but there are restrictions on the use of table salt, and the diet does not exclude sodium compounds.
With the help of sodium, the balance of acids in the body is maintained, osmotic pressure is maintained and the level of water in the body is regulated. Sodium ions are needed to provide a source of substances and energy to the cells of the body. Sodium chloride balances fluid in blood plasma and within cells. With a deficiency, dehydration of the body is possible and will lead to dizziness and headache.
If you follow a salt-free diet, you need to completely exclude smoked meats, canned vegetables, sausages, fried foods, cereals and flour products from your diet for a long period of time.
Considering that a large number of people consume more salt than recommended (up to 12 grams per day). Therefore, such a diet is well suited for people with hypertension, who have kidney problems. Such a diet is able to normalize blood pressure and overcome puffiness, if any.
Salt control: needed or not
Of course, it is worth limiting, but do not forget that everything should be in moderation and wisely. Therefore, such a diet is more episodic – one day a week without salt, and about five days a month. If this diet is used as a treatment for the kidneys or the cardiovascular system, then the restriction and duration is determined by the doctor. Before you start a salt-free diet, you need to find foods that are enriched with fluorine and iodine.
Without exception, think about how to control the intake of salt so that there is no excess of it. For this, sausages, smoked meats, canned food and semi-finished products should be consumed as little as possible. It is best to replace the usual salt with sea salt. It contains less sodium chloride and a large number of useful trace elements – magnesium, bromine and potassium. Such salt can be found in the supermarket as a food product.
How long to follow such a diet, you decide for yourself, it all depends on how you feel and what results you plan to achieve. Often its duration is from 5 to 20 days.
- By normalizing the intake of salt in the body, metabolism and the functioning of internal organs improve;
- During the diet, nutritionists recommend eating small meals, but every 3 hours. Feelings of overeating do not arise and the food is digested completely;
- During this period, there is a refusal to eat heavy and high-calorie foods, and preference falls on light and healthy food, which is easily absorbed by the body.
Almost all nutritionists are skeptical about such a diet, arguing that the excess fluid will, of course, go away, but body fat remains. In addition, such a diet has certain contraindications: hypertension, chronic inflammatory processes in the intestines, heart failure, acute inflammation of the kidneys, myocardiosclerosis, articular rheumatism. People with such problems are not allowed to follow such a diet.
Principles of organizing a salt-free diet
- It is better to eat the food that you prepared yourself. You must be sure that no salt was used in the preparation. As the saying goes, trust but verify.
- It should be remembered that the salt shaker should be on the table, and not near the tile. Get a separate salt shaker, where the amount of salt should not be more than 2 grams, and add a little salt to the food during the day.
- If you suddenly want to eat on a walk, you should not go to the first fast food, buy an apple or other fruit instead.
- If the food seems bland, you should use various spices, it can be black pepper, herbs, mustard, horseradish, garlic, onions, lemon juice, various vegetables. The use of ketchup, mayonnaise, soy and salad sauce is strictly prohibited due to the high salt content.
- Organize a salt-free lunch during your lunch break. It can be oatmeal with fruits, chicken, fish that have been cooked without salt, various yogurts or low-fat cottage cheese. In no case should you eat noodles or soup for steaming as lunch, even if you are not on a diet.
- Do not drink carbonated water, which is high in sodium.
- If you are not sure whether this dish contains salt, pay attention to the label, this component must be indicated in the composition. If you are still in doubt, refuse or replace the dish.
Often, more overweight people have recovered, just because of the inability to properly control food intake. It will be very difficult for such people to follow this diet. After a couple of days, they will begin to feel a strong sense of hunger, as a rule, they begin to gradually take their souls away, allowing themselves a little mayonnaise and then ketchup, in general, they eat plenty. Do not bring your body to such stress. Getting rid of excess weight is much easier when there is no feeling of discomfort.
Exercise some caution and those who have an active lifestyle, who play sports or exercise. In such cases, the body needs more minerals than usual.