The times when soda was used only to increase the splendor of baking are long gone. Every day, the piggy bank of ways to use it is replenished: loud banners assure that soda will help you lose weight without effort and lift your body off the couch, and the solution from it is equated to living water, recommending its use for all diseases from medical reference books. Soda fever also affected cosmetology: women quickly fell in love with these small white crystals for their availability and instant results.
Soda is mainly used in cleansing scrub recipes: many simply do not dare to leave it on the skin for longer than a few minutes – the use of soda to clean surfaces and the violent reaction of acid with alkali have created an association of the latter with an ultra-aggressive agent that can remove pollution from the skin along with the skin itself . Of course, a similar scenario is possible in a horror movie, but in practice, soda can be safely left for 10 minutes – which means long live soda masks.
General recommendations for masks with soda
- Carry out a sensitivity test in the wrist or elbow area: leave the mask for 10 minutes and monitor the reaction in the tested area for an hour.
- Dilute soda with clean water: boiled, filtered, and better – non-carbonated mineral.
- Use fresh soda, not from the bins of the 90s.
- Golden rules: apply the mask along the massage lines, without affecting the delicate area around the eyes and mouth – they also apply here.
- The skin before the procedure should be cleansed, without makeup and slightly damp. It is advisable to apply the mask after a steam bath or a warm compress, this greatly enhances the cleansing effect.
- After washing off the mask, do not rub the skin like Moidodyr, but gently blot it with a towel and moisturize with cream.
- Carry out a course of procedures and do not use the mask more often than recommended. General principle: the more aggressive the composition, the longer the break between procedures. The interval between soda masks is at least 10 days.
- Soda masks are more convenient to carry out in the evening. If the skin turns a little red after the mask, it will have time to recover and calm down.
Indications and contraindications for use
The disinfecting, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect of soda makes it an indispensable tool for oily and problem skin. It helps in solving related problems: acne, comedones, pimples.
However, this makes soda an undesirable component of masks for thin, sensitive skin. It is worth refraining from it in the presence of wounds, peeling, dermatitis, which from such an intervention can provoke a deterioration in the condition of the skin as a whole.
The base of the mask, a mixture of soda and water, can be used by owners of oily skin, but with dry skin, emollients cannot be dispensed with. Soda does not contain useful substances, although it contributes to their penetration – therefore, even having the opportunity to get by with two components, you should not miss the chance to enrich the mask with additional components.
Soda and honey masks
Honey is a versatile ingredient that has moisturizing, cleansing, regenerating and rejuvenating properties. The only obstacle to the inclusion of a bee product in cosmetic products is an allergy or individual intolerance. Soda-honey masks can be called the most successful kitchen beauty recipe: honey enhances the effect of soda, simultaneously nourishing and saturating the skin with vitamins and microelements.
This mask perfectly refreshes the face, however, if the skin is dry, adding only honey to the alkali is not enough, it is necessary to include other moisturizers (egg yolk or base oils) in the composition. For masks, liquid or melted honey in a water bath is used.
- Classic honey mask. The simplest composition: stir in half a glass of water 3 tablespoons of soda and a tablespoon of honey.
- Soda mask with cream. Combine a tablespoon of honey with 30% cream in a 1: 1 ratio, add soda on the tip of a knife. Perhaps the most gentle option for dry skin types.
- Soda mask with oatmeal. Pour the same volume of hot water with a tablespoon of oatmeal. Wait until the flakes swell and add a teaspoon of honey and soda on the tip of a knife.
- Soda mask with lemon. Mix equal amounts of lemon juice, baking soda and honey until smooth. This formula is great for oily skin.
- Soda mask with clay. Mix a tablespoon of the following ingredients: white clay, honey and soda. If the consistency of the mixture resembles a stiff dough, add warm water and carefully, without lumps, stir until the consistency of sour cream.
- Soda juice mask. Mix cucumber juice (2 tbsp), sauerkraut (1 tbsp), aloe (1 tsp). In the resulting mix, add a teaspoon of honey, soda and salt on the tip of a knife, and add rice flour as a thickener.
Soda and salt masks
Another spice that has made its way from kitchen shelves to bathrooms and has a similar cleansing effect is salt. It does an excellent job with black dots on the face and tones the skin, but it does not contain components that neutralize the powerful effect of soda. Therefore, you can confidently use the soda-salt tandem only if the skin is oily or has acne. For dry, sensitive skin, rosacea, inflammation and scratches, it is more reasonable to use gentle masks that are unable to injure and cause irritation on the skin surface.
Due to the double power of the cleaning components, this variety of soda masks has its own characteristics:
- It can be applied pointwise, only on areas affected by acne or black dots.
- To reduce the risk of skin damage, the skin is lubricated with oil before applying the mask. However, this reduces the effectiveness of the mask.
- You can add table and sea salt (finely ground) to the mask. The composition of sea salt contains trace elements and minerals that rejuvenate the skin and heal small wounds and scratches.
- First, the soda-salt mask is washed off with warm water, and only then the face is rinsed with cool water.
- Classic salt mask. Carefully pour water into a mixture of soda and salt, taken in a ratio of 1 to 1.
- Soda mask with washing gel. Add a pinch of soda and salt to the foam obtained from whipping 2 tbsp. face wash with a teaspoon of water.
- Cream mask. Adapted option for dry skin: add a teaspoon of nourishing cream to the mask with the washing gel.
- Soda mask with soap. 2 tbsp Soap shavings from baby soap brew a glass of boiling water. Mix the soapy solution with a pinch of salt and soda well.
- Soda mask with shaving foam. Stir to…